Monday, September 24, 2007

Memoir Reading

I'm reading the memoir Girl Bomb by Janie Erlbaum

Girl Bomb is about a 15 year old teenage girl named Jan who has a dangerous life at home.
Her mom has an abusive husband who beats her and her family. Jan struggles with her mom always getting back together with her husband, Dave, after he threatens to take her brother and harm her family. She finally gives up and tells her mom she's going to leave if her mother takes Dave back. Eventually this happens in the second chapter, and that's when Jane decides to leave. She knows she can't live and survive on the streets so she feels like she is forced to live at a shelter. Anything is better than home.

"Jan, I have something to tell you, and I don't expect it to be easy at first, but I think you'll understand that it's best for everyone."

This makes me think of times when parents use this line on their kids.
So far, Girl Bomb is a good book and it's very discriptive and uses words and examples that normal teens would go through as they are growing up. I feel like it relates to me a lot.

No comments: