Thursday, March 20, 2008

A Nothern Light

This is an award winning novel. It is based in the 1900's in a small town. Mattie really wants to succeed in life, unlike her father, who works on their families farm. She is a great writer and all her friends and teachers says she should persue a career in writing. Mattie wants to get a job so she can start saving money and save up for college and her future. Her family doesn't really have hope for her at this point, her father doesn't even think a teenage girl should be working outside the house or the farm. She got a job at a nice hotel. She was accpeted into a college in New York, but her father really doesn't want her to leave her family behind with so much work to do everyday. Since her siblings are so young it's hard for her to leave.

"I took a deep breath and ripped the envelope open. There was a single sheet of paper iknside clipped to my battered old composition book. 'Dear Miss Gokey,' it read. 'It is with great pleasure that I write to inform you of your acceptance to Barnard College...'" (64).


"I looked at my teacher, barely able to breathe, much less speak. It says they want me, I thought. Bernard colelge wants me. Mattie Gokey from the Uncas Road in Eagle bay. It says that the dean herself likes my stories and doesn;t think they are morbid and dispiriting, and that professors, real professors with long black gowns and all sorts of fancy degrees, will teach me." (65)

These quotes are significant to the story because finally Mattie is told that her writing is good and she has potential to make a career out of it. Instead of before how her old teacher told her she wasn't a good writer and she should just quit while shes ahead. This part is really important to the story because Mattie finally has a chance to leave her small town and make something big out of herself.

No comments: